Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRUB2 - How to change the Boot Order

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question GRUB2 - How to change the Boot Order

I'm running a Dual Boot system with Ubuntu 10.04 64bit and Windoes 7 64bit. I want to change the default OS that loads. Currently it loads Ubuntu automatically and I would like it to load Windows. I looked up information on Grub2, but honestly, it didn't make much sense. I thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: GRUB2 - How to change the Boot Order

Quote Originally Posted by u2rcrazy View Post
    I'm running a Dual Boot system with Ubuntu 10.04 64bit and Windoes 7 64bit. I want to change the default OS that loads. Currently it loads Ubuntu automatically and I would like it to load Windows. I looked up information on Grub2, but honestly, it didn't make much sense. I thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
    Bob
    To change the order you need to edit GRUB like this:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    The file should look something like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”"
    # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
    # The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo’
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640×480
    # Uncomment if you don’t want GRUB to pass “root=UUID=xxx” parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
    # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=”true”
    You need to change this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    to this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=1
    Exit and save then run this:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Windows should be the default the next time you reboot.
    Last edited by Rubi1200; July 18th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by u2rcrazy View Post

Sincerely,
    Bob
    The simplest way is to install startupmanager through synaptic. Editing grub works too, as was already suggested but the gui is pretty foolproof.

Beans

Smile Re: GRUB2 - How to change the Boot Order

It should be said that GRUB_DEFAULT should be set to the number of the line that you want to use to boot minus 1. So the default is the first line (1-1=0!).

I had to set my GRUB_DEFAULT to 5 as my Windows 7 boot option is on line 6 in my boot menu.

Beans

Hi:

I have been beating my head against the wall with this. I have several Ubuntu installs + rarely used XP and wish to boot from Natty. Recently I have added 10.10 server and it always comes up first. After editing /etc/default/grub nothing changes. There is a different default in etc/default/grub but the only difference is it takes longer to boot into sever 10.10.
    When I checked the version it said 1.99 but on the boot screen it says 1.98.
    This error comes up:

(gedit:2276): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.GAH0YV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2276): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2276): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.G9T4YV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2276): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

Have same problem on laptop w/ Linuxmitt Natty and Lubuntu 10.10. I changed the default from 0 to 1 and it still boots Mint.

Any advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by frank cox; July 24th, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I highly recommend Grub Customizer. It's an app written for Grub 2 and can easily do a lot of Grub 2 maintenance. Click the link in my signature line (Customizer).

StartUp-Manager had limited Grub 2 capabilities but with Grub 1.99 (Natty) and the introduction of submenus it pretty much is broken for selecting menu entries.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!

Those errors should be harmless. I get them all the time when I gedit something.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans

This is the best way to change grub2 boot order:

I just ran the procedure, and it works perfectly. It also makes sense. Follow the instructions exactly and be sure to run $ sudo update-grub .

(If you change /etc/default/grub, you'll have problems the next time the o/s upgrades.)

Quick summary, assuming you want a foreign o/s, e.g., Windows to be first in the list and run as default:
    you@yourhost:~$ sudo mv /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/07_os-prober
    you@yourhost:~$ sudo update-grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    Hi:

I have been beating my head against the wall with this. I have several Ubuntu installs + rarely used XP and wish to boot from Natty. Recently I have added 10.10 server and it always comes up first. After editing /etc/default/grub nothing changes. There is a different default in etc/default/grub but the only difference is it takes longer to boot into sever 10.10.
    When I checked the version it said 1.99 but on the boot screen it says 1.98.
    This error comes up:

(gedit:2276): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.GAH0YV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2276): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.G9T4YV': No such file or directory

Have same problem on laptop w/ Linuxmitt Natty and Lubuntu 10.10. I changed the default from 0 to 1 and it still boots Mint.

Any advice would be appreciated
    This line run in the terminal stops those error messages
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /root/.local/share
    After the above is run open the edited file again (/etc/default/grub) and save the file again. This time no error messages should appear and the updated grub menu should show after running
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Last edited by Quackers; July 26th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast