Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 24.04 and zfs snapshots

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 24.04 and zfs snapshots

I don't know, all these zfs snapshot managers seem too complicated for my needs that could be just as easily served with few commands and anacron. I really hope Timeshift developer warms up to zfs.

Also, is there a more detailed guide somewhere for recovering zfs using live Ubuntu USB drive? That might come useful, though I so far never had a situation that Ubuntu breaks so bad that I can't reach tty, except due to some hardware failure. Graphical environment braking, now that is more common.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

zc-commander is one of the easiest zfs-snapshot tool there is.

MAFoElffen, has written a handful of live USB recovery steps, Just search in the Forums for his name you will see plenty.

My guess here, this is going to be a long road for you, until you just dig in and read ,read , and read more.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The basic concepts of ZFS should be learned by it's users... I feel that is worthwhile.

ZFS is just like another Volume Manager, LVM2. In that both take just a little bit of ramp-up learning on your part. There are 4-6 commands that people need to learn for both of those to be proficient with it. Learn those and you will be fine.

Even with those, you will just be scratching the surface of what you can do with it.

But the thing is... ZFS is a system where you need to learn what it is, what it does, and how to use it. If you are not willing to learn those basics concepts, then maybe ZFS is not for you.

You could install it, not do anything more to or with it (like doing the snapshots you want to do...), and you would be fine. That is like acquiring a Lamborgini, and just driving it back and forth 2 blocks to the local grocery store.

Maybe you should install a small ZFS system in a VM and play with it. Something to learn on, and decide if it suits what you want to do, and if it is right for you(?)

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

+1 1fallen & MAFoElffen

I am just a young jedi on ZFS. A little clumsy with the sabre still but getting the hang of it. I read everything these 2 write on it, as well as Jim Salter. I also like LVM but that’s not this..

I like & use Sanoid for snapshots & Syncoid for replicating to a backup location. I have tested blowing up my root on ZFS and putting it back. Practice it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thanks aljames2 I keep tabs on the folks who pick things up quickly, like yourself.:
    Also your noted test with Sanoid/Syncoid is very helpful. May the Force be with you....
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    May the Force be with you....
    LMFAO!!!

My two dogs are named Pad May, and Luke Skywalker... And yes, Luke is the son of Pad May.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hillarious!
    My two dogs are named Pad May, and Luke Skywalker... And yes, Luke is the son of Pad May.
    I rewatched Rogue One this weekend, so I have the SW vibe going.
    But I digress

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12